Selbe Cabin Save and Move

historic-routt-county-historic-designation-01

At a Glance

Date Built: 1937 or 1938
Restoration Start Date: 2021
Completion Date: 2023

The History

In 1937, Henry P. Heid hired local builder Art Gumprecht, to build a log and cobblestone bungalow while Joel Anderson built the stone fireplace. After Heid passed away in 1943, the home had a few short-term residents until the Max Selbe family moved in June of 1956. They lived there for 17 years until it was purchased by Dr. Ted Schrock in 1973 as a rental property. Routt County purchased it in 1996, as the potential new site for the Justice Center. Instead, the center was built at the west end of Steamboat Springs and the house was used as offices until 2021 when Routt County used the property to build the new Health and Human Services building.

The Project

In 2021, Routt County donated the cabin at 613 Oak to the Steamboat Mountain School, for future use as on-campus faculty housing. HRC sponsored a $10k grant request on the behalf of the Steamboat Mountain School to move the cabin to its new home in Strawberry Park. The cabin is at its new location and as of 2023, it is on a permanent foundation. The cabin will be ready to move in and hosting faculty by August 2023.