Yock Cabin Restoration


At a Glance

Date Built: circa 1900
Restoration Start Date: 2010
Completion Date: 2011

The History

Lena Yock, the matriarch of the Yock family, bought 160 acres near Fish Creek in 1903, the cabin was part of the purchase. The family was comprised of Lena, her husband Louis, two sons, and three daughters. By 1930, only Lena and her son Martin, who went by Chick, were still living on the property. The ranch was sold to Jerry More in 1957 before the ski area began to flourish. In the 1970s, the barn began to appear in posters promoting the ski area. In 2005, the barn property was sold to Bob Comes and he donated the barn parcel to the city, creating More Barn Park.


The Project

HRC led the effort to reconstruct the Yock Family Homestead Cabin, part of Moore Barn Park, during the summers of 2010 and 2011. The project was the first of its kind in Routt County by featuring a partnership between Historic Routt County and Rocky Mountain Youth Corps (RMYC). The partnership was the catalyst to form the RMYC’s Historic Preservation Corps, which was a four-person team, ages 17-21, that worked with RMYC leaders and a professional historic preservation contractor to repair the barn and the collapsing Yock Family Cabin. The Historic Preservation Corps worked for 14 weeks over the summers of 2010-2011 to fully restore the Yock cabin which now sits in the midst of More Barn Park for visitors to enjoy and as a reminder of the county’s rural heritage.